Roles & Responsibilities
All members of the Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School community are responsible for ensuring our school is safe, and treating one another with dignity and respect at all times. We each have a responsibility for showing proper care and regard for school property and the property of others. Under the direction of the PVNC Catholic District School School, the following are the roles and responsibilities of principals, staff, students and teachers in maintaining a safe, inclusive and respectful school environment.
Principals take a leadership role in the daily operation of a school which includes:
- Demonstrating care for the school community and a commitment to academic excellence in a safe teaching and learning environment;
- Holding everyone under their authority accountable for his or her behaviour and actions;
- Empowering students to be positive leaders in their school and community; and
- Communicating regularly and meaningfully with all members of their school community.
Teachers & Other School Staff Members
Under the leadership of the principal, teachers and other school staff members maintain order in the school and are expected to hold everyone to the highest standard of respectful and responsible behaviour. As role models, teachers and school staff uphold these high standards when they:
- Help students work to their full potential and develop their sense of self-worth;
- Empower students to be positive leaders in their classroom, school, and community;
- Communicate regularly and meaningfully with parents;
- Maintain consistent standards of behaviour for all students;
- Demonstrate respect for all students, staff, parents, volunteers, and the members of the school community; and
- Prepare students for the full responsibilities of citizenship.
Students are to be treated with respect and dignity. They must demonstrate respect for themselves, for others, and for the responsibilities of citizenship through acceptable behaviour. Respect and responsibility are demonstrated when a student:
- Comes to school prepared, on time, and ready to learn;
- Shows respect for himself or herself, for others, and for those in authority;
- Refrains from bringing anything to school that may compromise the safety of others; and
- Follows the established rules and takes responsibility for his or her actions.
Parents play an important role in the education of their children, and can support the efforts of school staff in maintaining a safe and respectful learning environment for all students. Parents fulfill their role when they:
- Show an active interest in their child's school work and progress;
- Communicate regularly with the school;
- Encourage their child to be neat, appropriately dressed, and prepared for school;
- Ensure that their child attends school regularly and on time;
- Promptly report to the school their child's absence or late arrival;
- Show that they are familiar with the Provincial Code of Conduct, the Board code of conduct, and school rules;
- Encourage and assist their child in following the rules of behaviour; and
- Assist school staff in dealing with disciplinary issues involving their child.