Ontario Secondary School Curriculum
The Ontario Ministry of Education determines our Catholic secondary school curriculum expectations by grade or subject/course. You can view Ontario curriculum expectations for grades 9 to 12 by visiting the Ontario Ministry of Education.
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
The following are the requirements for obtaining an Ontario Secondary School Diploma:
- Total of 30 credits
- 18 Compulsory Credits include:
- 4 credits in English (1 credit per grade)
- 1 credit in French-as-a-second language
- 3 credits in Mathematics (at least 1 credit in Gr. 11 or 12)
- 2 credits in Science
- 1 credit in Canadian History
- 1 credit in Canadian Geography
- 1 credit in the Arts
- 1 credit in Health and Physical Education
- 1 credit in Civics and Career Studies (.5 in Civics and .5 in Career Studies)
- 1 additional credit selected from English, French, a Native Language, Native Studies, a Classical Language, an International Language, a Social Science and Humanities, a Canadian and World Studies, Guidance and Career Education, or Cooperative Education*
- 1 additional credit selected from Health and Physical Education, Business Studies , the Arts (Music, Art, Drama) or Cooperative Education*
- 1 additional credit selected from Science (Grade 11 or 12), Technological Education (Grades 9 to 12) or Computer Studies or Cooperative Education *
- Students from Holy Trinity complete 1 Religion class each year.
Note: A maximum of 2 credits in Cooperative Education can count as compulsory credits.
- The other 8 credits are elective courses based on students' interests and post-secondary destination plans.
- Community Involvement - encourages civic responsibility, promotes community values, and reinforces importance of volunteering. Students must complete 40 hours before graduation. Visit Community Service Requirements for more information.